- profit share
- company car
- business class travel
- private health insurance
- travel allowance
- subsidized childcare
- job satisfaction
- gym membership
- doing something worthwhile
terça-feira, 11 de outubro de 2011
2º GESTÃO COMERCIAL - ENGLISH II - ACTIVITIES
MOTIVATION AT WORK
This subject is very important, once you are working or if you are looking for a job at the moment. It isn´t so easy to feel happy and motivated at work all the time, that ´s why sometimes we have to think about different ways to keep always focused and excited about our job. In this activity, you´ll find some exercises and texts discussing about the topic above. Read everything to gather information for further discussions with you friends. Feel free to share your point of view over here. Join us!
1. What´s really important to you when you choose a job: earning a lot of money? Working for a big company to have status? Helping other people? Working on something you love, even if you don´t earn much money?
2. Read about the quotes from two people talking about their jobs.
MARIE, ACCOUNTANT: I work in the finance department of a large company. There are a lot of benefits. for example, if the company makes a profit, all the employees get a bonus. There´s also a profit share, but that´s only for managers. I have a company car and I also travel abroad quite a lot - always business class and on expenses, of course. We also get a pension and private health insurance. The company pays for its staff to go on training courses to develop their professional skills. And we get free membership of the local gym. There are also rewards: it´s hard work, but I get a lot of satisfaction from it. People recognize it if you do a good job, so there are good prospects for promotion.
TOM, PHYSIOTHERAPIST: I work for the health service. There are a lot of rewards: the main one is the job satisfaction. I get a real sense of achievement when someone says "thank you". You know you´re doing a worthwhile job. If you work hard, there are opportunities for promotion. I like the responsability of making a difference to people´s lives. There are some benefits. We don´t get bonuses or anything like that, but there´s a very good pension. The health service pays for us go to on training courses, and people with children get help with paying for childcare. If I visited patients at home, I get a travel allowance, but it´s not very much.
In your opinion, who´s motivated by helping other people? And who´s motivated by earning a lot of money? Why do you think that?
3. Read the list of benefits and rewards that usually get people motivated to work. Choose some of them and explain why they are so important for you.
4. Now let´s talk about Brazil. In your opinion, what´s the best company to work at the moment? What kind of benefits and rewards this company often give the employees to motivate them? Would you like to work there?